Friday, May 3, 2024

Thoughts about the Straight Eight Cucumber

Included with other standard cucumbers that I grew in my garden this year was the Straight Eight.

 


 

 

Ferry Morse lists Straight Eight as an All-American Selection Winner from 1935. According to their catalogue, it is an "heirloom variety and highly popular garden plant, Straight Eight Cucumber, a Cucumis sativus cultivar, sometimes called the standard or stubby cucumber, is grown as a fruit vegetable. Likely the most recognized variety with home gardeners, Straight Eight sets deep green cylindrical fruits that are about 8 inches long and 2 inches wide. This dual-purpose cucumber can be eaten fresh or canned.”

 

 

 

I found Straight Eight to be exactly as advertised – suitable for either eating or picking. It was standard – not too long, but slightly stubby. I really like the slight striping with the fruit though. It definitely gives the Straight Eight a much greater eye appeal than a standard dark green cucumber.

 


 

The variety did well for me in my fertile healthy soil. The vines grew well as did the fruit. In the end, I shared them with some coworkers at the school I work at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.