Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The Spuredda Tarantino Part 2

As mentioned before, the Spuredda Tarantino is one of the most colorful and most prolific carosello varieties that I have ever grown. Though in areas where there was minimal water, the plants produced moderate crops – the areas with plentiful water produced very abundantly.



The Carosello Spuredda Tarantino




September 5th, 2019








September 10th



Something I did forget to mention – which was a little funny. Because I was able to finish off the Carosello Massafrese soon after starting the Spuredda Tarantino, I was able to utilize the fertile garden owner’s square PVC pipe and wire mesh trellis for both crops.


 









































How many do you think are in this picture? (Hint: More than 6) (=

























September 12th




Plants are beginning to contract powdery mildew




















































Out of the many plants that I grew, there were two that produced cucumbers with broken bands of dark. One of the plants did this consistently, while the other only had half of the fruit exhibited irregular bands while the other half of the fruit exhibited solid bands.







September 16th























Near the end of the season, I did notice something interesting. Some of the Spuredda Tarantino began producing initially lighter striping patterns very similar to my Striped Carosello Leccese.



September 17th




































By September 25th, all of my plants had succumbed to powdery mildew. I’m afraid that there is a triple combination of preliminary factors that weaken plants and strengthen the fungus. Once the night temperatures drop, the humidity rises and the daylight hours decrease it seems there is little a gardener can do to fight the inevitable.




September 25th - the end is near!








The sad state of plants that have succumb to powdery mildew



Finally, if you haven't already seen this, you can join me as I do a video walk & talk about the Spuredda Tarantino.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.