Friday, October 21, 2022

Entrusting Stewardship of a Carosello Variety

When I began gardening as a hobby, I never thought I would be growing gourmet cucumbers. In Tucson, I was just happy to grow anything that would taste decent and wanted to share what I enjoy with others.

 

In 2021 I entrusted stewardship of the Light Carosello Leccese with Uprising Seeds. I felt that, given their more northern latitude, a very short season variety would fit their needs much more than a longer-season variety, such as the Barattiere or the Long Dark Armenian cucumber. They were able to grow it out and it did well for them. While this is just one variety, it was very nice to have at least one company shouldering the responsibility of stewarding at least one of my higher-quality carosello cucumber varieties.They are already selling it.


While I am still very unsure about how this kind of competition will affect my hobby business, it is wonderful for my well-being.

After years of working to preserve and share these varieties, I am beginning to understand why heritage seedsavers cherish their heirloom varieties. The hope that what you have worked for will endure. Because of how much I love delicious rare cucumber varieties, I would never wish to be the last person to grow them.

With all the cucumber cultivars that I work with, it is a relief to know that some of these may continue to be produced for longer than I'll be around.

Again, hopefully the link works. In any case, here is their current offering:

https://uprisingorganics.com/collections/melon/products/carosello-leccese-light

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.