Friday, July 8, 2022

Water-soaked Cucurbit Respiratory Roots

Over time, I am seeing more and more concerns from people who are going to Cucurbits in areas that receive a lot of rain. While moisture is generally good, because of the way that the Cucurbit roots change over time their need for sufficient drainage changes as they grow. While providing plenty of water at the base of the plant is beneficial as a seedling, once the plant begins producing fruit it's need for respiration in the root zone is much higher.

 

While I am no expert on all things Cucurbit, I have learned from experience that the roots of these vining crops have a higher demand for air as they continue to expand. If, as the root system expands, the roots that were once dry are flooded with water, the plant will begin to drown. The only comparison I can make is phenomena in the lungs.






 I made a quick video to explain it as well as to explain how I discovered this. Basically, I was growing in a partial hydroponic environment and was able to literally see what happens to the plant roots over time and how they reacted when the respiratory roots were flooded.

Attached is the picture of the image I refer to in the video. As garders struggle with wetter climates, it may be wise to grow Cucurbits on hills with very good drainage. I really hope this helps many of those gardeners that are struggling with their cucurbits this year because of excessive moisture.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.