Friday, June 25, 2021

Long Dark Armenian Cucumber 2020

So – this will probably need to be filed under the “wasn’t successful because I started too late” category. In order to ensure a successful harvest, plants that require a longer growing season should be started earlier. Because of the previous issues I had with squirrels and the results that this had on the timing of planting out my Carosello Massafra, I was delayed in planting out this crop.












































The plants grew alright, but by the time I got them in, the summer was beginning to wane. They grew alright for a little while, but as the days grew shorter and the nights grew colder, powdery mildew became more and more apparent. I attempt to fight the problem with a couple bacterial fungicides – with mixed results. Eventually, I just cut down all but the most mature cucumber and tossed the bulk of the vines in the yard waste bin.






















After growing out this variety several times I now know that I need to try this variety one last time early in the season and provide it with ample opportunity to thrive. Hopefully, I will then be able to harvest vigorous seed that can outgrow most of the problems that I have encountered with this cucumber the last two times I have grown it.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.