Friday, July 14, 2023

Setup of the 20x20 trial plot at Solano Community College

In order to expand my gardens and find opportunities to grow more trial varieties, I started a garden plot at Solano Community College in January of 2022. The plot I was provided with was a 20’x20’ flat plot primarily consisting of clay and was covered with tall weeds. In order to start my garden out weed-free, I pulled the large plants out, I mowed the shorter weeds down and plowed them under. Then, one section at a time, I covered the plot with layers of dry composted horse manure, cardboard and woodchips.

 

 


 

 


 

 


 

 


 

 

 

 

 











 

 

The entire process required many hours of whatever spare time I had on and off for about 3-5 weeks. When I was finally done, I was able to keep from worrying about the weeds for a while.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 


 

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.