Friday, May 27, 2022

I Just Keep Growing the Striped Carosello Leccese

With all of the growing of cucumbers that I do, I don’t always get to eat as much as I would like. Despite growing them twice in 2019 and once with a farmer in mid 2020, by later in the season in 2020, I knew I would be ready to enjoy some more Striped Carosello Leccese, so I planted some in the fertile garden.



 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After years of growing carosello and other cucumber-melons, I really get to a point where I just want to enjoy the fruit – at least occasionally. The tender, yet crisp texture, the rich complex flavor, the beautiful light and dark green fruit. Everything about the Striped Carosello Leccese just makes my mouth water.














Growing later on in the season inevitably exposes my plants to powdery mildew and this year was no exception. Like the consistency of the change of season, the warm days and cool moist mornings welcome in the season of powdery mildew like clockwork.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


While I was a bit frustrated with getting powdery mildew again, gardening is always a game of chance. Gardeners are almost always trying to squeeze as much productivity as they can out of their soil with every possible hour of sunlight that they can. But as soon as disease begins to take hold, leaving plants in the ground any longer than is absolutely necessary is asking for trouble. In my garden, disease is an unwelcome guest. If I don’t remove diseased plants as soon as possible, I’m just inviting the disease to take up residence. No thank you!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On a side note, the Scientific Gardener blog has been going for over 10 years now. While I am not the source of all gardening knowledge or even pretend to be, I have learned some things that have helped me to be more successful in my gardening endeavors. Looking towards the future, I hope that your gardening experience is one of continual growth and learning. Try something new, experiment a little, be willing to learn from your garden – because the garden is waiting for you, if you are ready for yet another adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.