Friday, February 23, 2024

The Girl’s Garden in 2023

I have given my younger daughter plenty of choices concerning what to grow in the girl’s garden plot. We usually grow tomatoes and potatoes as well as some sweet potatoes. She likes sweet peppers, so we almost always include some of those. Additionally, we generally try to do something new each year. This year we tried some butterfly attractants, such as Milkweed and Pipevine. 

 


 

 


 

 


 

 


 

 


 

 


 

 


 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My girl grew peas earlier in the season and, with effort, we got some Milkweed and Pipevine. Unfortunately, not much did really well this year in the girl’s garden. I don’t know if it was due to some overcrowding or if it was just that we didn’t manage it very well. She is the type of gardener who enjoys just sowing seeds and forgetting it. But my daughter did help me with the sweet potato harvest later in the season. 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 






What didn’t do well in our garden was the new native plants. Perhaps they need a section just for themselves or perhaps we are not providing them the right conditions? The tomatoes, potatoes and sweet potatoes did alright, but the peppers were a little overcrowded by the sweet potato vines. With my  teenage daughter getting older, I only have a few more years before she is no longer around. I’ll definitely have to get more of her input concerning what she would like in her garden plot this year.

2 comments:

  1. Specifically what Milkweed type? Which pipevine?
    Planting "natives" in California isn't necessarily going to work if the plants aren't native to your specific area.
    A better term is "locally native". Unfortunately, the seed / plant purveyors call anything that grows anywhere in the country "native"... and native at my house may grow at your house, but it won't be native...
    I grow the climbing milkweeds (matelea) & also see caterpillars on the pipevine sometimes... Be careful, there are tropical pipevines that are toxic to the caterpillars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. I grew the narrow-leaf milkweed that seen growing wild in Vallejo and the same type of pipevine that I have seen growing wild in the Napa area. That's within 20-30 miles of Fairfield and about as close to native as I can get.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.