Friday, October 22, 2021

The Sumter Cucumber

The Sumter Cucumber is a blocky white-spined dual-purpose (pickling and fresh-eating) cucumber that was bread and released by WC Barnes of the Clemson Agricultural Experimental station in 1973. The main reason I decided to grow this variety was to learn more about it through a variety grow-out.










































Sumter is generally resistant to many common cucumber diseases including powdery and downy mildew. I had no problems with disease of any kind while growing it.
































Sumter stood out in my 2020 cucumber trials as a reliable straight attractive cucumber variety with no noticeable disease issues. Due to the very nice color and look of the fruit, I was able to have a very nice and fun photo session with this variety. To see a video with this variety, click on the YouTube link below:


























Overall, if I were in an area with lots of heat, humidity and disease and I wanted a workhorse cucumber variety, I would definitely consider the Sumter Cucumber. It was well worth my time to grow out and I believe it will be a great cucumber variety for anyone else who is willing to give it a try.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.