Friday, June 11, 2021

The Costata Romenesco Squash

As with most people, I like a little bit of summer squash, or zucchini, now and then. However, I don’t like to overdo it. For years I have heard that Costata Romenesco is the most delicious varieties of squash to grow, so I decided to try it.

































Though the seed source for this variety provided sub-par seeds, I enjoyed growing out this variety. The squash were enjoyable to eat in a number of dishes and tasted fairly good when raw. When I stopped ot look at the Costata Romenesco plant/bush, I enjoyed watching the bees come and go from the plant. Some native bees even took to hanging around in the flowers.
 
 























The taste of this variety is pretty good, the ridging is interesting and the texture of the Costata Romenesco is pretty consistent. I’m not sure if I would say it is the “best” zucchini that I have ever tasted. This goes to the Long of Naples – a Cucurbita moschata variety (like butternut) that often produces 25-50 pound fruit when mature. When harvested at a mere 15 pounds, the texture of the fruit is so smooth and tender that it is a true joy to consume.
 





























Out of 10, I would say that the Costata Romenesco ranks somewhere around a 7. It is not quite as productive as some other varieties, but has some pretty good qualities that make it a summer squash worth growing.
 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.