Thursday, April 25, 2019

Redleaf Lettuce in Wine Barrel

Over time, I have often noticed small weeds trying to grow from the sides of my wine barrel planter. Sometime over the winter I decided that, if weeds can do grow there - then veggies can too.



 

I planted some Outredgeous red lettuce seed in the side of the barrel by poking some small seeds in the side, then adding a bit of very fine compost.





When I say "red lettuce seed" I don't mean the seed is red. It's the lettuce that turns red: you'll see! 


The lettuce grew pretty slow at first, so I added a little more soil to them.






Once the little plants were established, they did really well. They kept growing until the heat set in.












I was a bit worried that the heat would turn them bitter, so I harvested all of the outside leaves when the lettuce finally began to wilt. Fortunately, they were very sweet. No bitterness at all. That is a lot more than I can say for the greenleaf lettuce grown in the main garden. The green looseleaf lettuce turned bitter. Perhaps it had to do with how little I watered it?







Finally, for those of you inclined to watch my lettuce grow, here is a little GIF.





 I hope you have a bountiful harvest wherever you choose to garden this spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.