Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Mid July Chicken Plot Update

The friend of mine who has the chickens (and the plot of land with a rocky garden that I am growing in) told me I could use as much of his garden as I wanted to. Knowing how I could easily over-do it, I chose to only carve out a small portion of the garden for my cucumbers so that I would not have to worry about weeding everything. The yard is plenty big, with several fruit trees.
 












One of the wonderful things about gardening is that you can decide if you will take advantage of the season you have or not. Over-doing the work of weeding and caring for large amounts of land is not my idea of fun, so I try to keep things simple.








In this rocky plot I have planted three cucumber plants (Northern Pickling, Salt and Pepper and Marketmore), as well as seedlings of the Carosello Spuredda Leccese (a dark cylindrical melon-cucumber). As the same seed from different suppliers and sources can grow drastically different, I decided to try three sources for the plants I am growing to see if I can discover anything new or interesting that I have not grown yet.













2 comments:

  1. Dear Jay,

    I'm sure your new garden will be a success. Good luck!

    -Giuseppe-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Giuseppe!

    Both of these gardens are just for this summer, but I am hoping they'll be willing to spare a little space for me next summer too! (=

    ReplyDelete

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.