Saturday, May 11, 2013

Eureka!

Ripe tomatoes can sometimes be hard to find.

I knew this tomato was there, and had been looking for it under the bush for quite a while – and finally I found it!


The only hybrid in my garden - Celebrity

Each year I compare heirloom tomato varieties to the one variety I continually strive to beat – Celebrity. So far, Celebrity is winning. Most everything in my garden is open pollinated and can outdo its hybrid counterpart – but I have a long way to go to beat this hybrid tomato variety.

 

7 comments:

  1. I too am trying some other tomatoes to see what will grow best in my climate and conditions....that tomato is yummy. I won't see a tomato for about 2 or 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay, nice tomato. I hope my Siletz, Neptune and Hahms Gelbe will be as beautiful as your Celebrity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giuseppe,
      Me too. You'll have to send me pictures! (=

      Delete
  3. Wow, how early! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! Did it taste as good as it looks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anastasia,

      A fresh home-grown tomato beats the store any day - but I would not compare the taste of Celebrity to a pink Bradywine. That being said, the only way to grow Brandywine here is under partial shade or shadecloth.

      Delete

Dear Gardening Friends,
I look forward to learning more about gardening with you. Your comments help me recognize that gardening is a life-long journey.

To advertisers: Note that this blog is concerned with gardening and gardening techniques. Please do not attempt to advertise here by leaving a comment. Depending upon how egregious the comment is, it may be deleted.